Over the two hours, I brought up a number of issues:
- ADM closing in Hull on July 1st and how British jobs aren’t being defended by Labour. Vestas. Cadbury’s.
- How the banks bankrupted the world and could do it again…
- Record inequality under Labour for a generation
- How PR is good enough for Germany, Afghanistan and Iraq… but not for us…!
Other points I made included:
- “Economy” – as the “rules of the house” must be redefined
- Banks DON’T “balance” their books – the system of leverage means some banks were lending (literally creating money) at the rate of 80 times their assets!!!
- Oil decline, topsoil degradation, overfishing, decline of species should all be acted on too rather than getting hung up on aspects of the climate change debate. Don’t miss the wood for the odd tree!
- Government missing its own targets on climate change
The Tory Victoria Aitken made hay claiming she wasn’t a professional politician, however that didn’t stop David Davis from using her as his very able campaign manager in the infamous Haltemprice byelection.
Our voting system makes life very difficult for most voters. Greens want PR using a STV system (single transferable vote). Many wonder how to use their vote? Should they bother? In most seats half the votes don’t count, and – like our vote – if Greens had 10% of Parliament, we’d have 67 MPs. Instead of none!
Denis Healy (LD) did list a number of things which are Green Party policy: target of 20 children in a classroom, elected House of Lords, breaking up the biggest banks. I shall have to bring a flashcard saying “Green Policy” to hold up next time, especially when he says “We’re the only party who…”
I said: Use your vote – but it’s only a cross in a box! It won’t work miracles. We ourselves have to MAKE the society we want… THEY won’t.
A question on UK food security allowed me to stress our actual abundance of food but also our completely oil dependent agriculture. What happens when oil declines?? We need to get ahead of the game and incentivise going organic. In the UK neither do we have energy security. We rely on coal from around the world – and it’s not fairtrade either!
Diana Johnson MP (Lab) is very proud of her almost PERFECT Labour voting record. She defended this by saying the people of Hull North elected a Labour MP. This is fine – as long as all the people of Hull North are content with all of New Labour policy… Which they aren’t. In fact we are all victims of so many aspects of it!
I’ve commented to Denis that Greens have probably more in common with LD policy than ever before this time round. I must get someone tro do a chicken and egg analysis and see who’s nicking who’s. If we get a hung Parliament we’ll see how much we can trust this from a still devoted capitalist party.
The big difference for me is commitment. Denis did once say he was even prepared to “bat for scrapping Trident” as he put it (previously). This is great to hear.
On the other hand, as a Green, I’ve been arrested over it twice.
Roll on next hustings:
Hull University: TBC
Hull Baptist Church, top of Chanterlands Ave: 7.30pm Sunday 25th April.